Starbucks’s peppermint mocha is one of my favorite drinks to order around the holidays — it’s rich, minty, and incredibly warming. And while the peppermint mocha isn’t technically a seasonal drink, it definitely tastes a lot better during the cozy winter months. As much as I love it, however, a daily Starbucks run isn’t exactly in the budget. The solution? Make it at home!
This recipe is easy to make, inexpensive, and tastes just as delicious as the Starbucks version. Odds are, you have most of the ingredients you need to make this recipe at home right now! Cocoa powder, milk, espresso, and peppermint syrup are really all you need to throw the drink together, though you can opt for whipped cream and mint candy as a garnish. Though a Starbucks peppermint mocha is made with espresso, you could easily just sub a regular cup of coffee with the mocha and peppermint syrup if you don’t have an espresso maker. There are lots of ways to personalize this drink to make it fit your personal taste — hot, iced, more or less syrup, milk substitute, and so on. No matter how you prepare it, this easy copycat peppermint mocha is sure to bring you a little bit of cheer from the comfort of your own home.
There are a few ways to get the peppermint syrup: buy a bottle directly from Starbucks, use 1 1/2 tablespoons crème de menthe, or make your own peppermint syrup using peppermint extract, water, and sugar.
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa powder
3 tablespoons hot water
1 1/2 tablespoons peppermint syrup
4 ounces espresso
12 ounces milk
Red sugar crystals
- Combine cocoa powder and water until a smooth, thick syrup forms. Put syrup in your favorite mug.
- Add espresso to the mug, making sure it mixes evenly with the mocha syrup.
- Pour peppermint syrup into the mug and mix evenly.
- Steam milk (using a steamer or stovetop). Add milk and stir. If you want an iced peppermint mocha, simply skip heating the milk and pour cold milk directly into your mug and add ice.
- Add your whipped cream, sugar crystals, or a peppermint candy — whatever garnish you like. Enjoy!
- 1 serving
- Total Time
- 9 minutes, 59 seconds
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Julia Duda