Semifreddo is a great summer dessert – frozen and full of flavour thanks to our addition of peach, pistachio and amaretto.
The great thing about semifreddo is that it can be made in advance so if you’re hosting a dinner party you can prepare it a few days before to reduce the stress levels on the day!
- Around 30mins before making, place a large bowl and the whisk/beater of an electric mixer in the fridge. Remove when ready, pour the double cream into the bowl with 1tsp vanilla paste and 2tbsp amaretto and whisk until soft peaks form. Place the bowl and cream back in the fridge.
- Put the eggs and sugar in a large heatproof bowl placed over simmering water. Whisk until thick, pale and double in volume. Remove from the heat and whisk to cool.
- Fold the cream mixture gently into the eggs along with 75g of chopped pistachios. Pour into the prepared loaf tin and place in the freezer for at least 5 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Before serving, cut the peaches in half and remove the stones. Slice each half into 4-6 segments. Heat a large griddle or frying pan and fry the peach slices for 8-10 mins until beginning to golden. Pour in the amaretto and cook off the alcohol for 1-2mins before adding in the butter. This will thicken the amaretto and create a sauce.
- Remove the semifreddo from the freezer 10mins before serving and serve a slice with a spoonful of the peaches and amaretto sauce.
- 500ml double cream
- 1tbsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 175ml amaretto, plus 2tbsp
- 4 eggs
- 120g caster sugar
- 100g pistachios, chopped
- 4 peaches
- 1tbsp butter
- you will need:
- 1.8 litre (3pt/2lb) loaf tin, lined with cling film
Make it alcohol free
For an alcohol-free version, there are some great zero alcohol Amaretto’s on the market. Look out for a brand called Lyre’s online.